Annabaa forum for dialogue held an extensive discussion entitled " The Iraqi Nation: The deferred benefit ". Dr. Ali Tahir Al-Hamood, a Professor of Political Sociology at University of Baghdad, delivered the lecture.
Members of the parliament participated in the discussion along with academics, media professionals, and intellectuals. The session was managed by the forum director, a researcher, Ali Al-Talikani on Friday, Jun. 17th 2020 through online apps due to the coronavirus pandemic.
• Discussing the "Nation" as a body of co-existence and recognizing the other.
• The main reason for religious and national wars is power struggle not diversity. As soon as those struggles end, societies would seek Integration among them.
• We need a continuing actions of writing and activities from the elite to help the nation to rise.
• A significant responsibility for the state to create legislations and institutions.
• The awareness of the diverse community is way ahead of the political elites. A persisting people's pressure towards a unified nation will lead to an undivided state.
• A number of plans were persuaded to form south and middle Shia region versus a Sunni and Kurdish nations, yet the plans failed due to people's will.
• Building the state must go hand in hand with building the nation.
• Supporting the writings of the elite as their main responsibility.
• A strong belief in building the state must go hand in hand with building the nation for there no group would feel belittled or diminished. Those feelings would create a sense of division that may serve as a mean of election for the politicians.
• Achieving justice and abiding by the law to deliver the sense of national identity and belonging.
• No part of the society shall its identity into another group. Accordingly, this will lead to system's collapse, as the Iraqi nation recognizes all the components of its society and their passions in order to build the Iraqi nation.
• The education curriculum is quite significant regarding religion and media to build a model citizen who can co-exist and recognize the other.
• It is a duty for every citizen to pay a strong attention to cultural aspect.
• We need to transcend our ideas, building a nation requires persistence as the process is cumulative projects.